I use this custom tag at the top of every page in my site [attached].

Then, all you do is to code the URL so that it references a path such as one
you've coded. You can use name/value pairs just like a normal URL variable:

www.mysite.com/article.cfm?id=27

becomes this:
www.mysite.com/article.cfm?id/27

And that custom tag converts 1d/27 to id=27.

You can also have multiple name/value pairs like so:

www.mysite.com/article.cfm?id/27/title/andy-matthews

You'd have to code in the ability to replace spaces with underscores or
dashes as you prefer it.

andy matthews
web developer
certified advanced coldfusion programmer
ICGLink, Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
615.370.1530 x737