thanks for your replies. I am using dreamweaver and have just tried to create a
basic application.cfc page but i am getting even more lost by the minute.

This is the first time i have created a coldfusion application and have always
used dreamweaver to pracitse it. for some reason i am getting an error now that
says it is having problems doing 5 >= 0 which i have no idea about as if i take
my custom application.cfc page out it works fine - but again without the
session variables working. Do you have any idea of what should go into the
application.cfc at a very basic level. Just enough to get the session variables
working and then i can go into what really should go into this page later on

also, if i docreate my own custom application.cfc page then do i leave the
dreamweaver  generated one in the _mmServerScripts folder

thanks  for your help