thanks for all your replies,

i have modified my application.cfc with the code snippet sent

<cfcomponent>
<!--- You don't actually have to use the "this" scope, but most Application.cfc
examples do. --->
<cfset this.name = "myappname">
<cfset this.sessionmanagement = "yes">
</cfcomponent>

and it has fixed the previous error but now i am back to the original error of
session not valid when i try to use the session variables in my pages as
follows:

<cfscript>
  session.student = StructNew();
  session.student.name = "fred";
</cfscript>

the application.cfc is in my root folder and the page trying to use the session
variables is in a sub folder. the session variables are also enabled on the cf
admin

this is prob something so simple - but then its always the simple mistakes that
take longer to fix!

thanks again for all your help