i just did one www.rossreelsworldwide.com/dealers/dealers_usa.cfm
What you do depends on how accurate you want it to be.

If you just get a db of zipcodes, lat & lon and add the formula it wont be very
accurate. Since the lat & lon is based upon the center of the zipcode and
zipcodes and be quite large (30-50 miles across sometimes). So if the user is
in one corner of his zipcode and the store is in the opposite corner of its
zipcode and they are ajoining zipcodes they could be lets say 70 miles apart
but your dealor locator will say its about 15 miles, which is just a bit off.

To really do it even somewhat accurately you nned to get the actual lat and lon
of at least the dealers address. Thats what i did, so mines still a bit off but
they didnt want to ask the users for their actual address to get an exact
distance.

what i did was have it send a request to google with the address (cfhttp) an
parse the results to get lat & lon and update the dealers table to give the
correct location lat & lon & then I was also able to use that to get a accurate
google map as well. However, if the address in not "normal" it will have a hard
time getting correct location, ex: google will puke on an address like 123 sw
That st building 4 suite 44. I havent implemented this yet but to counter that
we are implementing a 2nd dealer address that we will use for geocoding so we'd
make that address 123 sw that st and it will work fine.