Russ,
Not sure that I agree.  There is a free ISAPI_rewrite Lite and the full
version is $69.  I don't consider this overtly expensive as some host
providers may already have it installed.  Plus, if I had to buy it
personally, I would bill it to the current client as it is probably for
their web site anyways.

Free is much cheaper if my client has an apache solution.  Most of my
clients do not use apache as much as the quality of apache is well
documented.

Ideally you are right.  In practice, it does not always turn out that way.

Cheers,
Teddy