> Not quite sure where I would have lost you at. MiTM... SSL...
> fake certs...  no prompts...

Right there between "fake certs" and "no prompts"? In this thread, you've
said two things:

1. You can trick users into visiting your SSL site instead of someone
else's, and they'll click through the "wrong hostname" warning.
2. You can trick users into visiting your SSL site instead of someone
else's, and they won't receive a "wrong hostname" warning. The lack of said
warning would indicate that you've presented them with a valid, signed
certificate (or a fake certificate that will pass inspection against the
root certificate store of the client) that will correspond to the hostname
that the user is actually trying to reach, and will therefore not generate a
security warning.

Now (1) goes without saying. I'm ok with that. I'm aware of the limitations
of relying on users to do the secure thing. But (2) is the sticking point
for me. I'm looking for proof of that.

> It sure seemed to me that that was in fact what you thought
> when it came to this particular type of attack.
>
> Ps. I never mentioned a proxy at any point.

I simply said "any idiot" can set up an SSL proxy. I wasn't referring to you
specifically. But a man-in-the-middle attack is, by nature, a proxy - it
accepts requests from a client, forwards them to a server, then in turn
forwards the response from that server back to the client.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/