>>Before I take short cuts, the first thing that comes to mind is, "I
hope I
won't need to redo this later."

Then if you're not sure, don't do it.

 >>The purpose of and RDBMS is storing data in a relational way in the first
place,

Right, when there is a relation worth to be treated as such.

 >>so using one join to get at additional data isn't taboo; these
systems are made for that type of work.

Harvesters are also mad to cut grass, though I don't use them to mow my
green
in my yard ;-)

 >>You can grab the items from the link table and use ValueList() if you
want
to put them in a list.

This is what I do when the list is worth to be stored in a table.

 >>What if a manager would like a printout of the days of the week and which
employees are available to work on each of those days. Show me, using a
single query, how you'd list all employees grouped by the days they work.

Just put the days in the list, not codes ;-))
That will make a field with a max of what? 50 characters may be? Big
deal! ;-)