I don't know about 1 giant CFC, but we have most of our data access in
several (about 10 different) cfcs.  We use sql queries, not stored procs,
but the idea is the same.  We cache them in the application scope.  As long
as you are careful with var'ing all your local variables, performance should
be good.

Russ