Dave Watts wrote:
>>I would assume it's similar on Windows... but when do you ever
>>run Windows without a GUI huh?
>

> It's pretty rare in my experience, but Windows Server 2003 does this, if you
> want. You could run previous versions of Windows (NT, 2000) without video
> cards, using the "embedded" toolkit. But since most people just buy servers
> from Dell, etc, they all come with built-in video, so people don't bother.

Huh, interesting. Even then, I would bet that the GUI libraries are there.

>>Personally, that's one of my pet peevs with Java in general.
>>I've always wished that Java would "bake in" something like
>>GD (PHP and Perl do
>>this) for it's image manipulation - that way, it wouldn't be
>>dependent on it's platform OS for it's image manipulation
>>functionality. Plus, GD always seems to do a better job as
>>far as quality goes.
>

> GD is platform-dependent - it's a C library. I suspect this is why Java
> doesn't include it.

::gasp::

::cry::

I honestly didn't know that. My picture of a perfect Java has now come
to a tragic end...

GD has always been one of the things I've loved about PHP. I've even
been known to use CFEXECUTE to run command-line PHP just to use it's GD
functionality.

--
Warm regards,
Jordan Michaels