On 11/7/06, Josh Nathanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Thanks for your help Rob.  I just don't know which field is the culprit as
> far as the null character (there's no description field or anything obvious
> like that), and I'm hesitant to CDATA every single field that's going into
> the db, unless I've exhausted every possible other option.

I wouldn't apply a CDATA block to every field indiscriminately, but I
would apply it to varchar and text fields where the data is likely to
be quite variable.

> I'll keep grinding on trying to regex the null character out of there and
> let the list know if I figure anything out.

The problem with this approach is that while it's currently the null
character, next time it might be something else and then something
else.  Your regex could just continue to grow.  I guess what I'm
saying is that it's not really a scalable solution.

Handling invalid character in a batch manner by including them in a
CDATA block or by understanding how those characters are being
inserted is a more workable long term solution.

That said, adding this final character may turn out to be the last you
ever hear of this particular problem.  :-)