> I realize that there are many factors in determining how many sites
> a server can handle are, but i'm just looking for guidelines.
> The server information is below, and lets assume that an average
> site on the server uses ColdFusion and Access or SQL Server 7.0 and
> uses 1 Gig of bandwidth a month.
> Lets also assume that I would use Virtual Directories instead of
> unique IP addresses for each account.  How many sites would you say
> this server could handle?
> Thanks in advance for any help!
>
> Hardware:
> - Pentium 600MHz
> - 256MB RAM
> - 20GB EIDE hard drive
>
> Software:
> - Windows NT 4(with most recent service pack)
> - IIS 4.0
> - Primary DNS Server
> - SQL Server 7.0
> - ColdFusion Server 4.5 Professional
> - MS Access

As a matter of point, I'd throw at least 512Mb RAM at any SQL Server
machine, and more if you want to run CF Server on it.
I don't know how DNS Server works with others...

The big thing is not the number of sites, but the traffic - if you aren't
expecting tons of visitors then your setup will probably be fine, but if
you're expecting hundreds of thousands a day, then get a separate SQL Server
machine

>From the little I know about MS DNS Server, it's happier on it's own
machine - so maybe a low spec Celeron would do the trick...

Philip Arnold
ASP Multimedia Limited
T: +44 (0)20 8680 1133

"Websites for the real world"