From: Tom Chiverton [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, November 28, 2006 9:10 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: OT: DNS Problems...

On Tuesday 28 November 2006 13:25, Rick Faircloth wrote:
> In the A records, I did have a Host name "mail" that "Points To
> 66.79.46.138" (my only IP).  I say I "did have" because I figured
> it was unnecessary at least and harmful at best, so I removed
> the "mail" subdomain from the A records completely.  Correct this to do?

It's normal to define an A record for the host that is your MX (ie handles
your email).

> Now in the MX records, there is
>
> "Host mail Goes To mail.whitestonemedia.com"
> "Host smtp Goes To mail.whitestonemedia.com"
> "Host pop Goes To mail.whitestonemedia.com"

If you've removed the A record, this won't work - what is the IP of
mail.whitestonemedia.com, according to your DNS ?

> But why would these settings, if incorrect, only affect only one customer?
> Why not
> all people trying to access my websites?

DNS propogates slowly, and at different speeds, depending on the moon :-)

--
Tom Chiverton
Helping to adaptively target performance-oriented solutions