Once a file has been uploaded using CFFILE you have access to a bunch of
FILE variables. Two of these variables will help you out here:
FILE.ContentType
FILE.ContentSubType
For example, if a GIF file is uploaded, whether it has a .gif extension or
not then the above variables will contain the values: image, gif
respectively. You can store these values in your db against the file
reference and combine them (image/gif) for use in CFCONTENT when delivering
the files.

HTH
Steve