From: Dennis Powers [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, December 01, 2006 1:18 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: RE: Hiding email addresses

http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/CF-Talk/thread.cfm/threadid:48461#258090

>> It's a pretty good system, but requires a lot of work on your part.

She makes has some interesting solutions to the problem and I even played
with most of them, Blacklist, timed session variables and such, however
they are solutions based on a premise that as much as I'd like to believe
in, in truth don't.

Sandra Clark said
>> Although both Captcha's and Human Auth tags are understandable
>> in the context of being bombarded by spam, I don't think its
>> fair to require our users to prove they are human.

This is a philosophical difference and not a denigration of her solutions.
You see in the real world we never have to prove we are human because it is
evident by our very presence and faking humanity in the real world is a huge
technical feat unattainable by the average person - ex wives/husbands
beliefs to the contrary.  However the network is virtual and filled with
various levels of robots and programs - every host every router has a
program. Although the programs for the most part due our bidding, humans are
in essence visitors and minorities within the net.  Sandra's perfectly valid
solutions assume it is not fair to ask humans if they are humans and yet in
the real world we still ask them to identify which specific human.  I on the
other hand feel it is perfectly acceptable to ask for identification, in
this case human identification and not always which specific one.

But I think too much.

Best Regards,

Dennis Powers
UXB Internet - A website design and Hosting Company
690 Wolcott Road
P.O. Box 6029
Wolcott, CT  06716
Tel: (203)879-2844