I discovered a problem with mail we're sending out on a few sites on one of
my servers.  It seems to have particularly flared up within the last 24
hours, but looking at the logs, it's really been going on for a while, it
was just seldom enough that slipped under the radar.

Basically, I have one site on this server that is my own. I have my own
e-mail accounts under this domain.  If I send e-mail to and from myself
using CFMAIL, it is never a problem. But if one of the e-mail addresses
(either to or from or even CC) involves a domain that is not hosted on that
server, then the e-mail doesn't go out.

I've never had this problem on any other Cold Fusion server.  As far as the
CF set up and how I'm using the tag, there is nothing different.

Looking at the error log, two common errors are "unknown user," which I know
is false because some of these "unknown users" are my own accounts on other
machines.  And some of the errors are suchandsuchdomain.com is "not a
gateway."  There is no discernable pattern ... for example, it's not just
aol.com; some of them are domains I control on other machines.

I'm guessing this is some DNS set up issue, but I know nothing, really,
about DNS.  I have no control over the DNS anyway, but if I could nail down
that that's the problem, it might help in getting the host (and their
upstream provider, XO) to fix the problem.

However, could it be something else besides DNS? Could it be the mail
server? Could it be the CF set up (administrator configured to use the mail
server for SMTP)?

Hints, clues, suggestions welcome.

H.

Howard Owens