No, otherwise the toolbar would never work.
There is no way a cfm page on a server can access the clients firewall
setitngs.

I think you don't quite understand the scenario.

We have mywebservice.cfc, which is called by the toolbar, all workds fine.
This toolbar is used by hundreds of different people on different pc's in
different locations.
We then have callremoteservice.cfm, this page has nothing to do with the
above one. IT invokes another webservice on another site that is nothing to
do with us.
When callremoteservice.cfm is run, it somehow breaks mywebservice.cfc and
the toolbar can no longer get a response from it.

I have been using a http packet sniffer to watch what happens, and the
result is this.

The toolbar will be calling mywebservice.cfc
After callremoteservice.cfm is executed
The sniffer then shows that the url being called by the toolbar changes to
mywebservice.cfc?wsdl, and thus the response it gets back is the WSDL
schema, and the cfc never executes. The toolbar itself doesn't change the
url, as it would have no knowledge of callremoteservice.cfm and if it has
been executed.
So I'm wondering if CF is somehow redirecting or something?

Russ