Also, the latest version of PDF now uses XML schemas, so I believe you can
now use this to insert dynamic data and text too.

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Kroll [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 04 January 2007 18:24
To: CF-Talk
Subject: RE: Modifying an existing PDF

> Is it possible, using the built in features of CF, to modify and add
> information on top of an existing pdf file?

What do you mean by "modify and add information"?  Are you referring to
filling in PDF Forms?  Adding additional pages to the end of an existing
page?  Modifying existing text inside an existing PDF?

The reason I ask is that I've done some work in this area.  We had a
requirement to populate pre-existing PDF's with dynamic data, and a later
requirement to dynamically add additional pages to the end of these
pre-configured PDF documents and insert user defined text.

The solution I found (which can be tricky depending on your java
knowledge) was to use the iText Java library.  An older version of iText
ships with CF and is what powers CFDocument from what I understand.
Using the iText library you can get to virtually every part of a PDF, but
some are a lot harder to manipulate than others.

The link to the home of iText is http://www.lowagie.com/iText/

Depending what you are trying to do I might be able to provide some code
samples of how to manipulate PDFs within CF.

HTH

Rich Kroll