George,
We ran into the same problem a few months ago.  What we found was the
error was thrown on random queries that had CFQUERYPARAMs in them (which
was almost every query in our application).  Somewhere on the net I
found an article explaining that it had something to do with the
drivers.  We switched our drivers to the jTDS JTDS drivers for MS SQL 2k
and the problem went away.

HTH

Rich Kroll

suddenly