Matt Quackenbush wrote:
> Hmmm... I setup PostgreSQL on one of my production (remote to me) servers.
> It's all working wonderfully from localhost.  To prepare it for allowing
> remote access, I added the following line to the pg_hba.conf file:
>
> host    sameuser    all      (the IP, e.g. 555.555.555.555)    password

This is a bad combination because they result in a cleartext communication and
even a cleartext password. Best would be to install a certificate and use
hostssl instead of host, but at least you should use md5 instead of psssword.

> I then added the following line to the postgresql.conf file, and restarted
> the service:
>
> listen_addresses = '*'

You don't need to restart the service, you can signal it with "pg_ctl reload".

> Now that the correct port is open, virtually instantly upon trying to
> connect, I receive the following error message:
>
> "Connection failed: FATAL: missing or erroneous pg_hba.conf file"

That should have generated an error in PostgreSQLs log file or even the Event
Log. Does that error give a line number?

Restore your backup of pg_hba.conf, signal the server and try to connect
locally. Then try your modifications to pg_hba.conf and try to connect locally
again. Then try connecting remotely.

Jochem