Dave Watts wrote:
<snip>
> Well, if you're using CF, you don't need to do that at the web server level
> at all:
>
> http://www.doughughes.net/index.cfm/page-blogLink/entryId-37
>
> You'll notice that this is an SES URL, on an IIS 6 server, that points to a
> simple description of how to set up SES URLs with CF on any platform.

I would argue that in fact that's not a search engine friendly url at
all. That url gives me no context for what I'm going to find on the page
if I follow the link. It will be followed by a search engine, sure, but
that does not inherently make it "friendly".
http://www.doughughes.net/articles/coldfusion/search-engine-friendly-urls-with-coldfusion/

would be a search engine friendly url. It tells a user (and a search
engine) to expect an article about coldfusion and search engine friendly
urls. Admittedly, the word "with" will probably be discarded by the
search engine as too common of a word, but the rest of the url will be
indexed and counted towards the value of the page if it matches the
correct context.

In order to really do search engine friendly urls you do need a
rewriter. Apache comes with one, IIS doesn't. We use ISAPIRewrite and it
works quite well. It sucks that the functionality isn't built into IIS,
but I do still like to run IIS when I've got a Windows box, so the price
of the rewriter add-on is worth it.

My $0.02

Judah