> > You'll notice that this is an SES URL, on an IIS 6 server ...
>
> I would argue that in fact that's not a search engine
> friendly url at all. That url gives me no context for what
> I'm going to find on the page if I follow the link.

Note the acronym: SES. Not SEF. The last "S" stands for "safe". The point is
simply that dynamic elements of the URL can be made to look static.

I agree with you that pages should have human-readable, consistent URLs, and
that this may well increase relevance and page rank. We use that approach
very successfully in our CMS implementations. But all that is entirely
beside the point, isn't it?

> A URL (or more properly a URI) is meant to provide a descriptive
> and permanent location for a piece of content.

It is not more proper to call a URL a URI. URLs are a subset of URIs, and it
is useful to differentiate between URLs and other sorts of URIs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_Resource_Identifier#Relationship_to_URL
_and_URN

If you're specifying a location, it's a URL.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/