> I did say "more correctly" and you seem to have latched on
> to this for some reason. I did not use the phrase in an
> attempt to imply that it was incorrect to use URL nor to
> imply that I was making a critical distinction between the
> two.

This is the crux of my disagreement. I "latched on to this" because it
stated exactly what you're saying now you didn't mean to imply. It's as
simple as that.

> See the Recommendations section of the Clarifications
> document you linked to:
>
> 1)
>
> The W3C and IETF should jointly develop and endorse a model
> for URIs, URLs and URNs consistent with the '"Contemporary
> View" described in section 1, and which considers the
> additional URI issues listed or alluded to in section 3.
>
> 2)
>
> RFCs such as 2717 ("Registration Procedures for URL Scheme
> Names") and 2718 ("Guidelines for new URL Schemes") should
> both be generalized to refer to "URI schemes" rather that
> "URL schemes" and, after refinement, moved forward as Best
> Current Practice in IETF.

Note the use of the word "should" in both paragraphs above. These changes
have not yet been made. Even if they had been made, that would not make it
incorrect for web developers to talk about URLs.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/