Ok, here's a wide open question:

We are going back through our application and trying to introduce more
Ajax where we can to dynamically add content when we can instead of
reloading the entire page.  Example: we often use a tabbed interface,
and for performance reasons, we only load the content in the selected
tab.  When the user switches tabs, why reload the entire page just to
change one part of it?  We'll just do an Ajax call to get the content
for that tab, and then innerHTML it in to where it would go.

Well, this is great, but now one of the problems we are running in to is
JavaScript libraries that we use all over the site.  For instance, we
have a nifty little calendar drop down custom tag we use.  The calendar
tag includes the JavaScript library it needs the first time it is
called.  Well, what if I am ajaxing in some content that has one of
those calendar drop downs.  How can I programmatically and consistently
know whether the JavaScript library has already been loaded for it to
work?  I used to just set a request variable, but that doesn't really
apply now since the original request scope doesn't exist anymore when I
make my Ajax call, and furthermore, content could have been removed on
the page SINCE it originally loaded.

My first though was to load ALL JavaScript libraries ALL the time
whether I needed them or not.  I'm not so sure about that though,
because it sounds like a waste of bandwidth and client memory usage.  Is
that a valid worry?

My second thought was to load NONE of my JavaScript libraries off the
bat, and then load them dynamically as needed.  If I went this approach,
I would need to either put an if statement around EVERY JS function call
to check for it BEFORE I called it OR build a wrapper JS function and
make EVERY JS call go through the wrapper.  I would tell it what
function I wanted to call, and my arguments.  It would check for its
existence and Ajax it in if necessary and THEN call it returning the
result back to the original code.

Am I making sense here?

Has anyone tried this before?

Are there any frameworks made for this?