I have had my coffee, I am awake and less of a grumpy git I was this
morning (hey, sunday mornings arent my happy hour!)

The Ctrl + M shortcut expands your editor.. that is good.. but I
guess you want to have outline view open (or something like that)

you can right click on the tab of the view you want to hide and click
Fast View, what this does is minimize it to the status bar (sometimes
at the bottom sometimes to the right, depending on your setup)

then you will have a little icon there you can click on and it will
popout, you can open the file, insert the shortcut, whatever the
function of that view is.. and it will go back to being an icon. very
handy.

I am not sure if there is a shortcut for this on a PC (Ctrl + F7 ?
its Apple + F7 on a mac) but it will give you a list of views that
you can scroll with pressing the F7 button

The same thing with perspectives but with Ctrl + F8 (check the right
shortcut on your operating system by going Window -> Navigation ->
Next View/Perspective/Editor

I hope that helps and thanks for your patience  with a grumpy old man :)

MD