From the Adobe TechNote:
http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_18232

"J2EE session management uses a new variable, called thejsessionid, to
track a user's browser session instead of the CFID/CFTOKEN pair. The
jsessionid variable is available to JSPs and Servlets. A newjsessionid
is always created at the start of each browser session. Because it is
always written as a per-session value which is destroyed when the
browser is closed, all session variables are also destroyed when the
browser session ends.

The addition of the jsessionid not only extends the J2EE functionality
but it also strengthens ColdFusion session management. Traditionally,
ColdFusion creates theCFID/CFTOKEN as persistent cookies by default.
However, the jsessionid is always created as a non-persistent cookie.
Refer to ColdFusion (All Versions): How to write ColdFusion session
variables as per-session cookies for more details. Refer to ColdFusion
(All versions): How to guarantee unique CFToken values to ensure that
the CFTOKEN identifier is unique.

Although jsessionid replacesCFID/CFTOKEN as the Session.SessionID,
ColdFusion MX still creates the CFID andCFTOKEN values for tracking
client information. This enables secure manipulation of client-scoped
variables. J2EE session management does not require an Application name,
so theSession.SessionID value becomes thejsessionid. Because CFID
andCFTOKEN are no longer used as session identifiers,Session.CFID and
Session.CFToken do not exist in the session scope. However, the
combination of CFID, CFTOKEN, andjsessionid comprise the
Session.URLToken (CFID=idNum&CFTOKEN=tokenNum&JSESSION=jsessionID ).
When using client management, ColdFusion server appends the jsessionid
to theCFID and CFTOKEN values in theClient.URLToken
(CFID=idNum&CFTOKEN=tokenNum&JSESSION=jsessionID )."

Cutter
http://blog.cutterscrossing.com