Yes, according to the J2EE specification, session IDs are supposed to be
unique. From the description of the javax.server.http.HttpSession.getID()
method:

"Returns a string containing the unique identifier assigned to this session. The
identifier is assigned by the servlet container and is implementation
dependent."

Because this is "implementation dependent" the answer to your question "how are
they created" depends on which servlet container you're using. If you're
running CFMX/JRun you'll get one answer, if you're running WebSphere or
WebLogic or JBoss you'll get different answers. Other than JBoss, which is open
source, I doubt the other vendors are going to reveal their algorithms for
generating unique session IDs.

Vince Bonfanti
New Atlanta Communications, LLC