>An old tried and true defense component is cfqueryparam.

For XSS? How does that do anything? It will prevent SQL injection, but that's a
totally different attack.

>The CF7 admin-level defense is, I have to say, not something I have
>any comfort level with.  So far its gotten itself shut off for being
>too draconian.  CMS users needing to input javascript into their web
>pages were denied and that was the end of that.

There are easy ways around that. First, you can set the script-protect in your
application to not include form variables. That will at least protect you
against URL, cookie and CGI-based XSS to some extent. But a better approach
would be to have them input the javascript in the forms using a different
format for the javascript tag that you then search-and-replace on in your
action form. For instance use a [script] instead. Assuming these are pages that
only admin users have, that will allow them to input what they need without
opening the public area of the site up to XSS attacks.

--- Mary Jo