I'll second this as one worth looking at. I used CFTicket in a previous job,
and liked it a great deal. I had to do some fairly extensive modifications
(primarily adding Oracle support, and also some other business-specific
features).

I found the code to be well organized and easy to work with, which is rather
important if you actually intend to make modifications.

Also Andrew, I think that CFTicket would work well for you based on your
privacy requirements. At it's core it's e-mail driven - each "queue" in the
system has a corresponding POP mail box. All e-mail correspondence is
between the requester and the system, and you can set fairly granular
permissions for each queue, so if it's a sensitive issue, you could put the
ticket into a restricted queue to limit who can see the requesters personal
info, and none of the people managing tickets ever has to have their
personal info involved (since the messages come from the queue address, not
an employee address).