On 3/22/07, Dave Watts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > i can't speak for model-glue as i've not done much more than
> > scratch the surface of it...but to suggest that the authors
> > of fusebox were trying to be "cool" by introducing new
> > terminology instead of using existing terminology is just
> > ridiculously silly since there was no "existing" terminology
> > to describe a fuse or a circuit at the time the framework was
> > created.
>
> Well, actually, this isn't entirely true. The idea of a "controller"
> predates MVC, and was commonly used in CGI programs written in procedural
> languages. For example, one of the first primitive web applications I wrote
> was in Visual Basic (!), and it was modelled after the example VB code
> provided with WebSite, an early Windows web server. It consisted of a main
> subroutine which acted as a controller, using URL parameters to invoke other
> specific subroutines, which were part of the same compiled executable.
>
> That said, I don't think there was anything wrong in using "fuse",
> "circuit", etc, because those names were implementation-specific. But even
> then, there was very little new under the sun.

Fair enough.  I guess I went to the -other- extreme :)

I'll still take issue with the notion that the authors of the
framework are intentionally introducing new terminology with the
explicit intent of "being cool".  And the notion that there are 100
coldfusion frameworks :D

--
Charlie Griefer

"...All the world shall be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies,
and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch
you, digger, listener, runner, prince with a swift warning.
Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed."