From: Dave Watts
To: CF-Talk
Sent: Sun Mar 25 23:34:25 2007
Subject: RE: CF (VMWare ESX Server Vs Physical Hardware)?

> I don't care about other Adobe products at the moment AFAIK
> and can see, ColdFusion is not officially supported on VM. If
> it is, it should be in the product listings.

I agree that it should be, but the system requirements on the Adobe product
pages don't always reflect this. If you go to the Connect system
requirements page, for example, it doesn't say anything about virtualization
or 64-bit Windows, both of which are now supported by Connect, but weren't
supported by Breeze.

> We run small domains in ESX, on machines with 20-60GB RAM.
> If we deloy say 5 ColdFusion licenses on the ESX box with
> 2 CPUs (and oodles of RAM) then we only need one CF license
> as far as I can make out.

Right, but with only two CPUs, you probably wouldn't be able to support many
more VMs. CPU time is going to be your limiting factor. If you added more
CPUs to your ESX server, you'd have to purchase an additional CF license.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/

This email has been processed by SmoothZap - www.smoothwall.net