From: Vince Collins (NHJobs.com) [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, April 05, 2007 9:40
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: Session timeout problems

I'm sorry Jason that I can't solve your problem but I'd suggest you look
into increasing your server memory possibly as well as looking at your CF
Administrator settings.  Also verify that you are locking the call to the
session with cflock.  I try to do this only once in the application.cfm file
so there aren't multiple cflocks on every page that you reference it.  Best
of luck!

I don't use sessions anymore...

I had similar problems with sessions back in CF5.0  I figured it was either
a server memory issue or a client proxy or browser brand/version issue.

I decided to stick with session-level cookies and have never looked back
since .  They seem to always work.  I set cookies with no timeout so they
expire when they close their browser.

I understand that sometimes for maybe security reasons you want to time them
out in theory but is it really that much more secure?  Two hour timeouts
would mean that they can leave for lunch and come back and continue which
kind of defeats the purpose of having a timeout to begin with doesn't it?
Half-hour is better but still not something I'd consider secure.  I might
employ sessions on a banking application but I wouldn't like doing it
because of my historical experience with sessions to date.

I'd be interested in hearing other opinions on when is the best time to use
a session versus a session-level cookie.  I still have colleagues who use
sessions and occasionally I hear them complaining about a client timing out
and loosing all their form data or edit session.  Timeouts to a customer is
one of the most frustrating things to deal with and it gives them a real
good reason to leave.  Also, if you have never had problems with
unexplainable session timeouts in your applications please chime in.  I
might have more faith in them!  :)

Vince