It helps to know what salaried folks make in your area.  Then add the
value of benefits (401k, health care, paid time off, etc) plus overhead
costs to the salary.  You really have to do your homework on these.
Then take that number and do the math to get what their hourly cost is
to the company.  And start there.  ie. someone making $32 an hour is
could really be costly $64 to the company.

Now for me I knew it was easier.  I knew what the hourly charge was when
my company charged for my time.  The range was $74-110 an hour.

So what I ended up doing for my independent clients which are all small
business owners and cant afford those big rates, I broke it down into
service categories.

$60 - Networking/Programming/Database Administration/Telephony/misc IT
(the majority of my work)
$40 - Basic Static Website Development/Graphics
$35 - Hardware, Telephony and Network Physical Installation/Basic
Software Maintenance
$25 - Basic Static Website Maintenance

Now I only do between $1k-$2k a month so this is by no means a full time
gig for me and I don't go through anyone.  Its all word of mouth
customers (for now).  And I do give discounts on customers who give me
larger taskings.

Hope this helps.

~Terry