Rick you might be right in some audiences but I think you may be wrong
in many other audiences. Larger corporations, for instance, do much more
extensive security filtering. They can block javascript/activeX/etc at
the firewall and they can also enforce browser settings at the desktop
level. The end user may not have any participation in the security
decisions nor even know that javascript has been disabled for them. They
just know that some things don't work. That's a recipe for bad user
experience. In general, my approach is to make javascript optional for
all front end tools with an unknown audience and then tailor the use of
javascript/flash/etc. in admin applications to the expected audience
since it is likely to be a much better known user base.

Judah