>I know you're approaching this from the perspective of handling
> those who don't use js... but I'm leaning toward assuming js,
> and letting the rest go.

In your particular application environment, I think that would be fine as
regards form validation.  Security is another issue.

> I think it's
> perhaps time for the development community to start developing
> with js and demanding that IT personnel learn to set up secure
> environments and protect their systems and network.

Unfortunately, we as developers don't get to demand anything.  Our job is to
make things work within the requirements of our applications.  Also
unfortunately, for some of us those requirements include users without
javascript.

> The "Web 2.0" functionality is going to force the issue.  With Google
> and other basically "thumbing their nose" at those who won't use js
> with apps like Gmail (at least that's what I understand), people are going
> to have to embrace js and other more risky technologies and learn to deal
> with them securely or be left behind.

Google's market cap is like $160 billion.  They can do whatever the hell
they want.  That being said, I think the percentage of users with javascript
enabled will steadily increase but never reach 100%.

-- Josh