Which banking system are the checks for?  the US banking system?  do
they have MICR lines on them ?

If i recall, the US banks charge quite a lot of money if they have to
encode the MICR line after the checks ahve been supplied to the
customer.  Australian and NZ banks wont do it it all. they supply the
cheques already MICR encoded.

MICR has very precise alignment tolerances, aligned to the right and
bottom of the page, not the top left.

TO produce a cheque suitable for processing through automatied MICR
machines or OCR machines requires a great deal of precision that is
usually only provided by a specially modified printer - the issue is
the paper moveing through the printer.  You cant' have any page
twisting or moving horizontally in teh printer.   the right edge of
the cheque has to be wihtin a hundredth of an inch of its required
place or the MICR readers get errors and the customer gets charges.

If you want to know more i can point you at where i used to buy such
printers  modified HP printers.

Cheers
Mike Kear
Windsor, NSW, Australia
AFP Webworks
http://afpwebworks.com
ColdFusion, PHP, ASP, ASP.NET hosting from AUD$15/month