Some forms of validation are completely impractical with pure client
side JS. One good example I've seen is when a user is registering for
a new username on a system; many systems leave this to the server, but
I've seen systems with very slick AJAX functionality that checks for
an existing username as the user types, so they can avoid the round
trip of "this username is in use pick another."

Regardless, when a team of developers has to maintain an app it's
often easier to maintain one set of code that does a given task,
rather than two.

--
mxAjax / CFAjax docs and other useful articles:
http://www.bifrost.com.au/blog/