James,

>Some forms of validation are completely impractical with pure client
>side JS. One good example I've seen is when a user is registering for
>a new username on a system; many systems leave this to the server, but
>I've seen systems with very slick AJAX functionality that checks for
>an existing username as the user types, so they can avoid the round
>trip of "this username is in use pick another."

You're correct--some forms of validation require server validation. However,
this is almost always the exception. Only a small percentage of validation
requires interactive responses from the server, and once again this is
relatively easy to do.

>Regardless, when a team of developers has to maintain an app it's
>often easier to maintain one set of code that does a given task,
>rather than two.

Once again, there's no need for 2 code bases. It's all the same code. If
you're referring to logic between client side and server side, while once
again all that is leverageable. Once you develop your validation methods,
you just re-use them.

I keep hearing the argument that it's too hard to maintain or implement--and
that's simply not true. The vast majority of validation is very easy to
implement.

-Dan