I believe it is important, even for an individual.

While you could, as you suggest, save a seperate version of a site into a
folder, as you suggest, a source control system will let you handle this
much more easily.

First, the systems generally only save "deltas" of files (basically, just
the differences), so you will use a lot less disk space.

Second, what if you forget to save a particular state, or realize later that
you need something a little different from the state you chose to save?

Third, how will you keep track of what the difference is between two states
you have saved?  What about when you have a dozen, or a hundred different
directories of saved points in time?

Source control systems greatly simplify this sort of thing - it's relatively
trivial to see the history of a file or set of files, visually see the
differences between them, and extract the right version of the right files.
If you are diligent about adding good commit comments when you commit
changes, you will be able to easily find what you need with a glance at the
history.

It's pretty easy to set up and use Subversion, for example, and I highly
recommend giving it a whirl - I think you will find it worth the effort.