I can't seem to find what thread you're referring to, but if you're talking
about SVN, it doesn't REQUIRE apache.  It works well with it.  It doesn't
support IIS, but it works quite happily as a service (svnserve).  I run it
on linux, as that's it's native environment, and it's happier there, but I
don't see a problem running it on windows.  The only problem is that the
connection would not be encrypted (so basically same security as ftp).

Russ