hmm...

Depending on the App you might get away with a CF mapping instead, but the
issue is simple.

All it is, is a directory structure that will be included as part of the
website. So when the code is run in there it should run using the same
Application.cfm / Application.cfc that is used from the calling Application.

So what does that mean, remove the need for Application.cfm altogether from
your common VD.