We have a fairly large codebase, and it takes a while to check it all out.
If I'm doing a small change (lets say a spelling change, etc).  I can just
go into that folder and do an update and it will take only a second or two.
Or I can even do an update of the whole source tree, and it will still not
take very long.

I really don't see the point of exporting a whole fresh copy of the code
just for a simple change.  Even for larger changes svn update would be much
more efficient then exporting a new copy of the code.
We also use FRS to replicate the files between cluster members, and if I
were to export the whole code tree, it would have to sync every file to the
other cluster members.

Obviously developing straight on production is a no-no... but if there's an
emergency, I can either roll back to an older revision, or fix the code in
place and then commit it straight from production.

With all these benefits, I don't see why you wouldn't trunk to production.

If you're talking about why we use trunk instead of a branch, that's just a
decision we've made that works for us.  Trunk is always the latest stable
code that's on production, and it makes making small changes easy.  As I
mentioned, for larger changes we use branches which get merged into trunk
once they've passed QA.

Russ