> If his needs are that strict, make him provide an exact duplicate
> system for development and testing, so you can test in an exact
> replica of his environment, without being on his servers.

My vote falls goes for this solution.

I had a large corp. client a number of years ago that I was pretty happy
working for. At some point, they moved their corporate offices and an
"evil IT department" took over their web hosting instead of the nice
folks I was working for.

At that point in the middle of a project, I was suddenly restricted from
any access to their servers, and they wouldn't even discuss setting up a
development system for me. I had to *email* them whatever file I was
working on, wait on some jerk in IT to post it (sometimes several days
later...) and then wait on directions as to what to do next. They
screamed bloody murder after getting my first bill under the new
"system" and I pretty much proved to them that providing me with a
duplicate of their system for development and testing outside their
network would be much less expensive than what was happening, not to
mention saving them months in development time.

I also amended my contract with them stating that once anything left my
hands it was strictly 'as is', because I had no further control.

Same evil IT did everything they could to convince management that doing
anything in Coldfusion had been horrible mistake and huge security risk,
and they constantly threw roadblocks/problems at me. I knew my time was
limited.

For example, even simple form security became an issue. Client-side plus
server side validation (mostly through cfqueryparam) was suddenly no
good, and I had to do stuff like the below for everything:

<cfif (findoneof("!<[^>]+%>!=",form.firstName,1) NEQ 0) >
   <cflocation url="request_err.cfm"><cfabort>
</cfif>

At some point, I finally had enough, and "fired" them as a client. I'm a
happier person now and they can have the bloated .asp application that
they finally got somebody else to write for them.