Ken,  also consider the complexity of the first projects you'd like your
developer to do. If it is fairly low to medium complexity, then his/her
learning curve could be right along with the development timeline. I have
seen CF developers 'grow' into their first apps with pretty good results.
CF afterall, is quite easy to learn if the learner quite motivated and
creative.

Of course if you have a pretty complex app, with little to spare on the
sched, then you know the answer to that.

I think there is a 3 year threshold to any developer's experience. This
means after the third year, you can all view them in equal footing. Since
web technology changes in a very fast pace, whoever keeps up with present
technology wins. Take Ajax, as an example. Today, a developer with 3 years
exp maybe more adept to it than the one with 8 because he/she might've
jumped on it first... you get the picture.

Hope I've given you a bit of perspective Ken. Good luck on your search!

Michael