On 5/16/07, Hatem Jaber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Everywhere I read they say that https and "named" virtual hosts are
> impossible.

You can use named virtual hosts, but you can only use one
*certificate* on the server, so practically speaking all of the other
virtual hosts get a certificate mismatch which throws up a scary
message to the user (though my understanding is that if the hosts are
all in the same domain, you can use a wildcard certificate to help,
but I've never tried)

I have 2 IP's assigned to my production server, I am only using
> one at the moment. Would this make things simpler with the install of a
> secure apache for just that one IP?

You can get the same effect by binding the virtual host to a
particular IP -- instead of *:443 in the config you can use
1.2.3.4:443. I'd personally just use one Apache instance to make
things easy unless there's other reasons to separate the instances
other than SSL

The only practical problem you should get from installing the
certificate on the server is that some users of the "other" site will
potentially get the cert-mismatch if they go to the site using
https:// for some reason. Here's what I mean, assuming you've got a
SSL cert for www.securesite.com

http://www.securesite.com => no prob
https://www.securesite.com => no prob
http://www.insecuresite.com => no prob
https://www.insecuresite.com => popup that the certificate names mismatch

This is assuming you've got an apache instance listening like

Listen 80
Listen 443

And virtual hosts that are something like

<VirtualHost *:*>
Servername www.securesite.com
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *:*>
Servername www.insecuresite.com
</VirtualHost>

You can just stop listening on the insecure site with

<VirtualHost *:80>
Servername www.insecuresite.com
</VirtualHost>

which gives folks a "site is unavailable" type message.