Devils advocate... To be fair, don't pan blame on the past developer on
someones word as you haven't seen the code, it could be very well written
and it is the current developers who simple don't understand it (not saying
it is, just that it could be).  If may well be a pile of crap (not
giftwrapped) but it could also be well structured just using more complex
code.

Just my £0.02p

"This e-mail is from Reed Exhibitions (Gateway House, 28 The Quadrant,
Richmond, Surrey, TW9 1DN, United Kingdom), a division of Reed Business,
Registered in England, Number 678540.  It contains information which is
confidential and may also be privileged.  It is for the exclusive use of the
intended recipient(s).  If you are not the intended recipient(s) please note
that any form of distribution, copying or use of this communication or the
information in it is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you have
received this communication in error please return it to the sender or call
our switchboard on +44 (0) 20 89107910.  The opinions expressed within this
communication are not necessarily those expressed by Reed Exhibitions."
Visit our website at http://www.reedexpo.com