> Any chance you could qualify your claims that re-compiling is
> faster than reading from the cached .class (even if there are
> 20k files in the folder).
>
> Even with a small cfm/function i'd be VERY suprised if this
> is the case. Perhaps you could enlighten me?

Other than telling you to try it for yourself and see, I can only say that
this has been my experience. Obviously, the speed of the disk and other
hardware, the specific filesystem being used, etc, will all affect this. In
my experience, any CF server with over 10k of compiled classes is almost
certainly going to be faster if you disable that option. I've seen some with
many, many more files than that where the difference was obviously
noticeable without any formal testing.

The problem is that all the files are in a single directory, I think. If
they were separated using a hierarchy of directories, seek time would be
much faster (but presumably write time would be slower, since CF would have
to figure out which directory to put them in, create the directory in its
absence, etc.

I'm not the only one who's observed this, apparently:
http://www.bpurcell.org/blog/index.cfm?mode=entry&entry=1031

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/

This email has been processed by SmoothZap - www.smoothwall.net