For a really simple tool, http://www.formassembly.com/time-tracker/ is
a great AJAX app that doesn't require a great deal of exposure to
learn it.  Add a task, click on it and say start task.  When you
switch to a different task it will stop the clock on the one you were
working on.  This is great if you are involved in lots of projects or
your day is punctuated with client calls here and there requiring you
to switch gears but keep track of billable time.  It has good rollup
reporting and you can nest items.  It's also good from a productivity
standpoint if you add a major grouping for personal time and add
things like checking email, taking lunch, etc. - it keeps you focussed
and allows you to see where the time went at a glance.