Hey Rick... just some comments:

A. I know 5 or 6 owners of rather large hosting companies (10-20000) and not
one thought it was a good idea. The concept is nice, but utterly pointless in
regards to the overhead and added complications involved... if you really want
to share sessions between PHP and Coldfusion, it can be done. If you want to
integrate something from PHP to CF, it can be done.

B. Like I mentioned, just use PHP. I don't see the need to have shared
execution with this one at all.

C. This brings us back to the question... what makes this a good idea? Why
overly complicate something?

I'm sure this might piss some people off, but I don't think Coldfusion is the
be all and end all. I believe in using the right tool for the right job.
Sometimes CF isn't up to the task and something else better suites the
situation.

The part of this conversation that scares me is that the whole thing runs
around the idea of being able to swing PHP/.NET/Drupal (=]) guys over to CF
because of what it could accomplish... and sorry to say, but that won't work
either. PHP guys aren't used to PAYING for their environment... nor would any
of them start to just because they see a few things that are neat.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, Coldfusion will never take on the
same amount of developers as PHP/.Net/Java while theirs a price tag involved
for the standard edition. If they want a larger developers pool, than strip
down the standard edition, give it away, and watch the money pour in for the
added features and abilities of the Enterprise edition.

And the funny part about how I know this...  I was the PHP developer who felt
that way before my current job.

!k