> We were thinking web app because then we wouldn't have to outsource some
> sort of Windows Programmer... But right now, we are just prototyping
> things out and exploring our options. I appreciate your reassurance that
> barcode reading isn't as mammoth an idea as one might think it to be.

Nope, not at all mammoth.  Your standard USB barcode reader comes with its
own software to read the barcode and translate it into plain data.  Then
it's up to your application to do something with the data.

> What we also need to do is make sure that we have a "locked down"
> system. We cannot have people CTRL-ALT-DELETE'ing out of the application
> and messing with the standard OS.

Best case scenario, you don't have any input device at the kiosk other than
the barcode reader...touchscreens are the most popular for this sort of
thing.  This limits the potential user to only the options you present to
them.  I don't know how you'd lock down a standard Windows setup with
keyboard, mouse etc. -- there are probably ways to do that.

Can you reveal any more details about the proposed application, or is it
confidential?

-- Josh