Assuming you are using MSAccess:

Create an empty DB and create linked tables that point to the tables in your
real DB.  The ODBC connection can remain open, and you can upload a new DB
at any time by overwriting the real DB.  This works as long as you don't add
any tables - you'll still have to modify the DB with the linked tables.

The other route is to talk the host into turning off "Maintain database
connections" in the CF Administrator for your ODBC source.  That's the dealy
that's locking your file.

Good luck!

Jeff